Monday, 27 February 2017

Baking Banana & White Chocolate Cake (GF)


I try to set time aside on a Sunday morning to bake. This batch of banana cake was made in my pyjamas, dressing gown and bed hair! I took the recipe from Tanya Burr's Tanya Bakes but adapted it here and there, mainly because Matt is a coeliac. I am not the best baker and all my family tease me for it, but it's all about trial and error and having fun in the kitchen! Anyway, this came out quite lovely - I aimed to leave it in for 45-50 minutes as recommended but it looked really brown at about 30, so I took it out after 40, to make sure the inside was fully baked. I definitely think the suggested baking time is too long! After 40 minutes, the sponge was beautifully fluffy (if I may say so about my own cake!) with just about the right amount of moisture and juiciness from the bananas. I was a bit disappointed that the top was brown and also flaking off (that's how soft it was!) but I dusted it with the magic potion for masking baking mistakes: icing sugar. If you want to have a go at making this simple, Sunday cake, here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
3 medium peeled and ripe bananas
150g butter
160g brown caster sugar
200g gluten free plain flour
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
100g white chocolate chips

Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
2, Line a wide and deep baking tin with grease proof paper.
3. Peel and chop the bananas into thin slices. Mash up the banana slices, a few at a time.
4. Mix the butter and sugar together until fluffy (I use a Kitchen Aid but can mix by hand!)
5. Add the two eggs and vanilla extract.
6. Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
7. Stir through the white chocolate chips, then the mashed banana.
8. Pour into the baking tin and bake for 40 minutes, until a knife comes out clean!
9. Allow to cool for ten minutes, then dust with icing sugar and cut into squares.
10. Serve warm with a cup of tea!

Love,
             Izzy

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Sounds delicious!
    Kari
    http://sweetteasweetie.com/

    ReplyDelete